Scanner is an input device by which we can take input from text or photos. There are various types of scanners we use today.
When we scan a document, the scanner first converts the document to digital signal and then take input as digital signals.
We can use connect it with our computer via ports using USB cable.
Table of Contents
What is a scanner?
A scanner is a device that can be used to copy text or images. It is often used to make copies of documents that are too large to fit on a computer screen.
Best 7 types of Scanners
We can categorize scanner based on the technology they use or structure.
Here in this article, we will discus the types of scanner based on their structure. So, lets see some types of scanner.
- Flatbed scanner
- Photo scanner
- Document scanner
- Portable scanner
- Film scanner
- Roller scanner
- Embedded scanner
1. Flatbed scanner
Flatbed scanners are most common types of scanner we use in the home and business organizations.
Flatbed scanner is ideal for text, documents and photographs.
Flatbed scanners have a cover which can be lift up to scan various documents which has a flat scanning surface.
You can also scan transparent slides or film negatives using flatbed scanners.
2. Photo scanner
Photo scanner gives a quality scanning when we need scanning images, pictures or a large number of photographs.
Other scanner also can do that, but photo scanner gives the better result of color depth.
Photo scanner is more expensive than others and some offers the image editing software which help us to clear old photographs.
3. Document scanner
Document scanners are used for especially scanning multiple documents.
Unlike flatbed scanner here documents are placed in a feeder and for this this is also called sheetfed scanner.
Document scanner needs a limited space and you can configure its speed and efficiency because it has some advanced features.
Document scanners are expensive than flatbed scanners.
4. Portable scanner
Portable scanners are very small in size and often can fit to your pocket.
It works with your handheld device and need not more power to run. It can be connected through USB port.
These scanners is not good enough for scanning photos or multimedia.
5. Film scanner
Film scanners works by a beam of light which is also called slide scanners. Film scanners have different price and quality. They work with CCD sensors.
6. Roller scanner
Roller scanner can be portable batteries and storage devices.
Roller scanners have a flat sheet between rotating rollers which can used for scanning up to a specified width.
We can use USB to transfer stored scan copies to computer.
7. Embedded scanner
Embedded scanners can be embedded inside the keyboard. For this we need not more space to place it.
How to choose the best scanner?
When you’re ready to buy a scanner, there are a few things to consider. The first thing to consider is your needs.
Do you need a scanner to scan documents, photos, or both?
If you only need to scan documents, you may be better off buying a flat-bed scanner.
However, if you need to scan photos as well, you’ll need to buy a scanner with a photo scanner attachment.
The next thing to consider is your budget. Do you want to spend a lot of money on a high-end scanner or do you want something more affordable?
Again, if you only need to scan documents, you may be better off buying a flat bed scanner.
See the latest price of all the scanners on Amazon here.
Considering things before buying a scanner
Scanning is a great way to capture important documents and images, but there are a few things to consider before making the purchase.
- Make sure you have the space to store the scanner and the documents you’ll be scanning.
- Consider the type of scanner you need. A scanner that can handle photos and documents is more versatile than a scanner that can only handle text.
- Consider the cost of the scanner.
- Consider the quality of the scanner.
- Consider the features of the scanner.
- Consider the warranty of the scanner.
- Consider the ease of use of the scanner.
- Consider the cost of replacement cartridges.
- Consider the cost of software to help you use the scanner.
- Consider the cost of repair or replacement if the scanner is damaged.
- Consider the ease of finding replacement parts for the scanner.
Scanning has become an important part of many people’s lives. It is no longer just for documents.
Scanning can be used for photographs, receipts, and even pieces of paper with handwritten notes. The benefits of scanning are numerous.
One of the biggest benefits of scanning is that it can be done quickly and easily.
You can save time by scanning documents instead of having to email them, save a copy on your computer, or take the document to a copy center.
- Printers, types of printers | which is best for you?
- 9 best types of monitors and 3 main categories of monitors
- 6 main types of touch screens | touch screen technology
- 3 main types of projectors, use, advantages and disadvantages
- Plotter | types of plotter | advantage and disadvantage
- Speakers And Best 10 Types Of Speakers With Details Of Each
- Stylus pen | types, advantages, disadvantages and purpose of stylus pen
- Different computer peripherals with details of them
- How to speed up your computer in 20 easiest way